Contact a Chinese Manufacturing Company directly.
• Go to Alibaba. Use your primary keyword to search.
• Select only suppliers with “Gold Supplier” and “Onsite Check”
• Make a list of 20-40 to contact.
• Record your chat and request a quote.
Always reject their first bid. You will lose respect otherwise.
Negotiation is expected.
• Reject their second bid also.
• When you are ready to close the deal use Skype.
• After negotiation ask for a pro-forma invoice confirming their offer.
• Reply with an official Purchase order on your letterhead. Including
your acceptance of terms.
• Always pay your deposit as agreed in a timely manner.
• Be prepared to pay 30% down and 70% on shipment (though a
20/80 split would be better if you can get it).
• They will accept payment by PayPal /credit card or by Western
Tips for Dealing with China
• ALWAYS get samples first to test quality and consistency before
putting in a large order. They will cost more/unit than when you
are able to order larger volumes. Ask for a discount when you place
your second order.
• You will find there are many suppliers for the same product. You
can play them off against each other. You may need to keep a few as
• Your Purchase Order needs to state clearly your expectation of
quality, time deadline and penalties. Also that breakages/losses
must be restored by the supplier. When you join AOE you will have
access to a template to use for this.
• Don’t aim to sell anything made in China that is ingested or applied
to your body. Customs will make it difficult to receive and send
• Be wary of selling in the Health and Beauty category. Amazon has
very strict guidelines for accepting products in this category.
• If you are using Amazon shipping (FBA) your products must be
shipped to their warehouse. Amazon will require inspections on
landing the goods. More cost. It is very wise to also arrange for
inspection of the samples at the factory in China before the final
payment is made, or if warehousing in Australia, after arrival and
before your final payment. This is especially recommended for
larger orders. See Inspection Goods (http://www.inspectgoods.
com), charge $103 or V-Trust Inspection Services, (http://www.vtrust.
• At a bare minimum request photographs to show your order
packaged and arrived, before releasing your final payment.
• A good tip is to request some extra flat packed boxes and some are
always damaged in transit.
Air v Sea shipping
• Always get your first order by air freight. You don’t have time to
wait around for the ship to dock.
• If your order is for around 250 units use the factory’s shipping
account and have them sent by air to arrive in a week.
• Your second order will be larger, maybe 2000 units. Sea cargo may
take between 60-90 days. You may be able to negotiate your own
cost or get a discounted rate. Your choice of air or sea shipping will
depend on how quickly your product is selling.Remember Amazon
does not like you to run out of stock.
Package design REALLY MATTERS. You have to make a sale sight
unseen. The buyer has to trust you. Have your packaging, label and logo
professionally designed by a graphic designer. This is 2D (flat) art work.
Keep it simple, clear and attractive.
There are specialist packaging companies in China that you could source,
or try outsourcing to Upwork (https://www.upwork.com/) or, in the case of
logos, you could find a ready-made on Graphic River, (https://graphicriver.
for around $30, then get someone on Fiverr (https://www.fiverr.com/)
to put your business name in it. For higher quality look to 99Designs
Printed product boxes will cost you around 25c from China. (Again when
searching Alibaba choose only “Gold Sellers” and “Online Check” There are
lots of specialist packaging companies in China. E.g. zeal-x-en-alibaba.com.
It is worthwhile to have your product displayed in a quality manner. You
can get an extra $5 for a packaged product and it is very worthwhile to wrap
your product professionally and not DIY.
Packages need to be supplied to the manufacturer.
Be sure to get the dimensions right!
Bullet points are so important to get right. This is where you get to list
the benefits (and key features) of your product.
• Phrase your benefits along the lines of… .’allows you to be……
have……..do………’ Use an evocative word image.
• Include the main keywords and benefits that will advance you sale.
Stack them with the most important as number 1.
• Sell against generic competitors (e.g. cheaper than plastic store
• Keep a consistent order for atll your products
• Reiterate important information from your Title and Product
• Begin each bullet point with a capital letter
• Use sentence fragments and no punctuation
• Do not include promo or pricing information
• Finish with a Risk Reversal Lifetime Guarantee.
Bullet points should consist of keyword phrases, benefits and key features
(turn your features into benefits). They are viewable under the product image
on your product page, and people will read them. Include all your main key
words in readable phrases and also use words to advance sales. Use HTML
to format your bullet points with italics, bolding and underlining.
Amazon prefers shorter bullet points, but use longer ones where you
can. In some categories there is a character limit of 80, 100 or 250. Use longer
phrases if possible. Maximize your retail space!
Tips to Optimise your Product Listing
• Price- Show the Sale price and % off, (e.g. 30%.) Make the end by
date a long way off, and set a calendar reminder to extend it. Your
product should ALWAYS be “on sale”.
• Customer questions and answers are undervalued, people read
them. Encourage customers to ask questions and answer as the
business owner, using key words/phrases in your answers. Get
people to ask strategic questions, e.g. “is your 20% off discount
code still available?” Add in all the questions you are asked after
purchase, as the answer will go to all who bought the product.
Use these to augment your existing sales message and important
benefits or ones you were unable to include. Use you keywords/
look at the Title, Image, Reviews, in that order.
Amazon will remove reviews from family (with the same surname), or
traceable friends, or from people with an Amazon seller account.
Only 2% of purchasers will leave a review voluntarily. You must work to
increase this. Aim for 5-10%, it will make a big difference to your revenue.
There are many ways to do this legally.
1. Reviews are seen and read consistently before a purchase is made.
You want them to be useful, interesting, relevant and honest. For top
quality, unbiased reviewers, search for “Amazon Top Reviewers” or
go to amazon.com/reviews/top-reviewers. These professional writers
will give unbiased, reviews that add massive credibility, plausibility
and believability to your listing. Many will include a video review
and show the product being used. These are extra good and get a lot
of visits. When choosing reviewers look at their rankings and their
reviews, also the category of products they have reviewed. Look for
the Hall of Fame Reviewers, and Top 500 reviewers, those who will do video reviews and 5 Star
reviewers. Don’t spam them! Make a
personal connection with your chosen people. Reference their prior
reviews and state what you likes about them. They are under no
obligation to you. There is a kindle eBook “How to get good reviews
on Amazon” ($4) on how to approach Top Reviewers. Aim to get
15-20 reviewer reviews to get started. Be considerate of their time
and NEVER ask for a 5 star review. You need to ask them to buy the
product at full price and refund them after you get the review. You
will have to pay for the shipping, but ensure a good experience with
2 day shipping.2. Note there is now a Facebook page for Australian Amazon reviewers.
3. There are other third party sites like snagshout.com and sellerlabs.
com. These are also great for product research – sort by campaigns
and popularity. Snag a deal – like advertising coupon prices –
automated $1 favorite sellers. Use as you need there is no recurring
cost. 20 snags=16-18 reviews. Coupons should be I use only (so they
can’t be shared.
4. Email follow up – feedback genius http://www.feedbackgenius.
com/. They allow 4 messages /customer, you choose the timing.
There is a suggested script sequence available to AOE members.
5. Use the Amazon buyer-seller messaging system. When a sale is made
Amazon makes the customer record available to sellers – name and
phone number but not their real email address, only their Amazon
proxy address. There are clear rules to keep the buyer on the
Amazon platform. No website links, logos, marketing, promotions
or refers can be made. This is monitored. Messages from seller to
buyer can only be about service issues or reminders for reviews. So
use this system to your advantage contacting every customer via
the Amazon proxy system. Don’t try to sell them anything! You can
automate this process using feedback genius, which is free for up to
100/mth. $20 next 1000. This very powerful. You can use it to send
up to 4 timed messages per customer, at for example 7, 14, 21 and 28
days after purchase. It integrates with your Amazon Seller Central
account. Set this up when you set up your first product, you will
thank yourself for doing this later.
• Set a start date but no end date.
• You can use both manual and automatic targeting.
• Bid high ($2-4.00 but don抰 use whole numbers) to begin to see
where you need to be get the top spot.
• Put in your own keywords/phrases (max 10) from your own
research ?use ones with buyer intent.
• Start with 5-10 keywords and a single manual campaign.
• Run this one ad-group for 1 week at first with no change as it takes
7 days to get good data back, as Amazon does not add in the sale
and the ACos (Amazon Cost of Sale) until after the product has
shipped. If you product has a 50% gross margin you will need to be
getting an ACos of 50% to break even. You need to be doing better
than that. Anything up to 100% is Ok, depending on your sales
strategy and lifetime customer acquisitions.
• See what it takes to make sales.
• Most will bid on whole numbers ?out smart them by using
amounts like $2.57, 2.07 to beat them.
• Your goal is to get data. Set and forget for 7 days. Then analyse.
• Remember that the data is not real time ?Amazon does not add a
sale until it is shipped and that often takes a day or two. Therefore
week to date data is not accurate 0 don抰 use it for decisions.
• Instead look at the more accurate last week data (Amazon week
starts on Sunday).
• Longer time frames are more reliable.
• Focus on volume keywords.
• ACos – lower is better but life time value important.
• Your product should have a 60% gross margin.
• ACos to break even is 50%.
Focus on keywords that give you the greatest volume as well as a
• Aim for the highest conversion rate you can get – Amazon loves it
and will promote you in the rankings for it!
• When estimating your bid for page 1 ranking be mindful that the
Amazon suggestions are over estimated – don’t use them! This is a
subjective process, based on your goals and your financials.
• When you analyse the data pause any underperforming keywords.
• Replace then with new words you want to try and test – maximum
10 at a time.
• Dump any with zero sales and 200-300% ACos.
• Start a new campaign for winners, pausing them in the first
• Keep testing.
• Try lowering your bids until you hit a sweet spot. Look for a
balance between profitability and sales volume. This is a numbers
• When you are happy with the way it is working, leave it alone for
1-2 months, then analyse your data again.
• Use the Automatic campaign setting only once per product and
only for 7-14 days.
• The goal here is to uncover new keywords to test further, with the
aim to bring out the best keywords into your manual campaign.
• Use the Automatic targeting report to which ones are getting clicks
and sales. Copy those over to your manual campaign to test.
• Inside Seller Central go to Reports->Advertising Reports->
Automatic Targeting. Select Auto Targeting Report, and the date
range, update, request a report, download it as a text file and open
in Excel. Sort the data by “Numbers of Orders Placed” or “Product
Sales within a week of click”.
• Pick your winners and losers.
For success, be clear on your goals, set you budget and check regularly.
Create a manual campaign with no more than 10 keywords. Set an automatic
campaign to find the best keywords to use. Review every 7 days. Drop non
performing keywords and test new ones.
Valuable blogging copy influences buyers and converts. Leverage
them! Influential and trustworthy bloggers can be found on Tomoson
(https://www.tomoson.com). They have more than 70,000 bloggers
and some great tracking tools. Find bloggers with good reviews
who are interested in products such as yours.
Note: In order to strictly adhere to the TOS, as of October 2016,
we can no longer require the shoppers on ART to leave reviews for
amztracker product promotions.